Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

Self Care

Many minor ailments are self-limiting and will run their course without any need for the intervention of a doctor or nurse.

Keep a basic medicine cabinet at home to relieve symptoms. This should include:

  • Paracetamol / ibuprofen (also in liquid form if you have young children)
  • Antihistamines
  • Antiseptic cream / wipes
  • Sticking plasters
  • Bite / sting cream
  • Digital thermometer

Your local pharmacist can also offer advice and sell over the counter medications for minor problems. Information can also be found by clicking "Common Health Questions" on the navigation bar on the left of the screen (below the Call 111 widget).

Self Care Forum

The Self Care Forum provides useful fact sheets to help you self-manage many minor ailments. The sheets indicate how long you can expect symptoms to last, how best to treat the symptoms with self-care and when you should seek medical help if the symptoms worsen or don't improve. Click here to access the fact sheets.

East and North Herts CCG Advice

East and North Herts CCG have produced a simple chart to help chose the correct service if your child is unwell: What to do if your child is unwell. Also available on the CCG website is 'When should I worry?', a guide to coughs, colds, earaches and sore throats.

Hertfordshire County Council Advice

The Herts Direct website offers a range of advice and links to help people maintain a healthy life.

Healthy Lifestyles

Please see the link below to our Healthy Lifestyle information pages

Healthy lifestyle information

Your Neighbourhood Professionals. Just a Click Away!
The Osteopahic Centre